- In the hydrogen atom, there is a single electron that revolves around the nucleus in certain definite orbits, which are known as Stationary Orbits. The electron has an angular momentum L which is an integral multiple of
- An atom consists of a positively charged nucleus and is surrounded by negatively charged electrons.
- In a neutral atom, the number of electrons outside the nucleus is equal to the number of positive charges on the nucleus.
- The Angular momentum L is an integral multiple of =h/4pi , where h is Planck’s Constant, where n is the Principal quantum number and has values n=1,2,3… This is known as Bohr’s Quantum Condition.
- When the electron revolves in a Stationary Orbit, it does not emit electromagnetic radiation as predicted by the electromagnetic theory of light.
- The emission of electromagnetic radiation from the hydrogen-like atom takes place when the electron makes a transition from one Stationary Orbit to another. If the transition is from an orbit of higher energy E2 to an orbit of lower energy E1, then the energy h of the emitted radiation is given by
Drawbacks of the Bohr’s Theory of Atom
It is known from the electromagnetic theory of light that an accelerated or decelerated electrically charged particle emits electromagnetic radiation and gradually loses its energy.
Since the electron revolving in the orbit is acted upon by the Central force, its motion is accelerated. Thus it will lose its energy by the emission of electromagnetic radiation.
SIGNUP FOR MORE INTERESTING AND EXCITING NEW CONTENT
For more content and updates, FOLLOW US on Social Media
- BENGALURU: TOP 20 FACTS TO MAKE YOU AWESTRUCK!!Bengaluru is known for many good reasons, such as the IT & BT hub of India, a Startup hub, good weather, greenery, cleanliness, humble people, etc.
- KARNATAKA: TOP 6 CITIES YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY VISIT!!Here are the top 6 cities in Karnataka you should definitely visit. Bengaluru is known as the ‘Silicon Valley of India’, and also Garden city.
- KARNATAKA: Top 10 Facts Will Make You Surprised!!Karnataka is known for a lot of things; from its delicious food to the IT and aerospace fields. These top 10 facts about Karnataka will surprise you.
- Karnataka: 30 Amazing Foods That Will Make You Try ThemIn Karnataka, you can find all kinds of delicious food you will love to have. Have a look at the 30 most popular dishes of Karnataka.
- Karnataka: 30 Amazing Places You Definitely Want to VisitThese are the list of amazing places from Karnataka that will make you want to visit soon. Karnataka is not just the looks, you have to feel it.
You might want to see Nikola Tesla: Top 10 Inventions to Make You Wonder.