The largest storm in the solar system is located on the planet Jupiter. This is known as the Great Red Spot. The winds blow at a speed of up to 432 km/h. Astronomers have seen this spot for a few hundred years, but the storm keeps changing and remerging. In 1979, NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft captured and transmitted the first clear image of the Great Red Spot from a distance of 9.2 million kilometers from the surface. The Juno spacecraft specifically sent to study Jupiter also studied the spot thoroughly. It made its closest approach to the surface on 11 July 2017, just 8000 km above the planet.
The Great Red Spot rotates in the anti-clockwise direction and takes about 6 Earth days to complete one revolution. The Great Red Spot measures more than 16,300 km. The latitude of the Great Red Spot doesn’t change much but it keeps oscillating in the longitudinal direction. The clouds from this region are found to be 8 km higher than the surrounding clouds. It is still not known accurately what is the reason for the red color of this spot? But it is thought that it is caused when the solar UV irradiates the ammonium hydrosulfide and acetylene producing a reddish material. The Great Red Spot is found to decrease in its size from recent measurements.
For more content and updates, do follow us on Social Media.
- BENGALURU: TOP 20 FACTS TO MAKE YOU AWESTRUCK!!Bengaluru is known for many good reasons, such as the IT & BT hub of India, a Startup hub, good weather, greenery, cleanliness, humble people, etc.
- KARNATAKA: TOP 6 CITIES YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY VISIT!!Here are the top 6 cities in Karnataka you should definitely visit. Bengaluru is known as the ‘Silicon Valley of India’, and also Garden city.
- KARNATAKA: Top 10 Facts Will Make You Surprised!!Karnataka is known for a lot of things; from its delicious food to the IT and aerospace fields. These top 10 facts about Karnataka will surprise you.
- Karnataka: 30 Amazing Foods That Will Make You Try ThemIn Karnataka, you can find all kinds of delicious food you will love to have. Have a look at the 30 most popular dishes of Karnataka.
- Karnataka: 30 Amazing Places You Definitely Want to VisitThese are the list of amazing places from Karnataka that will make you want to visit soon. Karnataka is not just the looks, you have to feel it.
Share this article