Technological developments in the mid-20th Century made space travel possible. Humans, for thousands of years, had always looked up at the sky and wondered. There was a lot of curiosity about what lies above the Earth, in the heavens.
The invention of rockets and space probes made it possible for the first time to get out of Earth and actually see and sometimes go to heavenly bodies. Human beings, for the first time in thousands of years, traveled out of the Earth. But the Space Race was actually accelerated by the geopolitical competition between two opposing superpowers.
Both nations, USA and USSR, tried their best to be the first in many things in space. USSR was leading initially in the space race with its spectacular achievements. The USA was also catching up with its rockets and space probes.
Americans finally became the first to land humans on the moon in 1969, a big achievement. The pace of the space race slowed after that and there was even coloration between the superpowers in the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975.
What was your favorite achievement in the Space Race? Comment Below.
You might enjoy seeing Voyager Probes: Top 10 Amazing Facts To Make You Awestruck.
For more content and updates, do follow us on Social Media
- Are You an AI Expert? Take Our Quiz and Find Out Now!Test your AI knowledge with our Ultimate AI Quiz! Whether you’re a student or a professional, take the quiz and learn about this fascinating field!
- THERMODYNAMICSIt is the branch of physics that deals with the concepts of heat and temperature and the inter conversion of heat and other forms of energy.
- THERMAL PROPERTIES OF MATTERTemperature is a relative measure or indication of the hotness or coldness of a body. The temperature of a body determines the direction of the flow of energy. The SI unit of temperature is kelvin (K). °C is a commonly used unit of temperature.
- MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF FLUIDS – PART 2The viscous drag increases with increases velocity of the body, but it is found that the body after attaining certain velocity starts moving with a constant velocity called terminal velocity.
- MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF FLUIDS – PART 1The materials that can flow are called fluids. Liquids and gases are collectively known as fluids. Unlike a solid, a fluid has no definite shape of its own.
Share this article